Congress-DMK in patch-up bid; resignations delayed
Chennai: Estranged allies DMK and the Congress on Monday appeared to be making serious efforts for a patch-up after the former deferred the resignation of its Union ministers from the UPA Cabinet by a day.
The development came after senior Congress leader and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee spoke to DMK leader and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi twice during the day.
Deputy Chief Minister MK Stalin, son of Karunanidhi, said Mukherjee sought a day`s time to sort out issues during telephonic conversations with his father. Mukherjee is also believed to have appealed to Karunanidhi to reconsider his decision to pull out of the UPA government.
Six DMK ministers, including MK Alagiri, were scheduled to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Delhi today and hand over their resignation.
Mukherjee also spoke to DMK parliamentary party leader TR Baalu last night. He today met DMK minister Dayanidhi Maran and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi.
According to sources, Karunanidhi told Mukherjee that the Congress should abide by the agreement by which Congress will contest only 60 seats and not ask for more.
Congress should also not insist on the choice of constituencies which would be decided mutually, they said.
Amid stalemate between the Congress and DMK over seat-sharing talks for the upcoming Tamil Nadu polls, the latter had announced on Saturday that it was withdrawing its ministers and would provide issue-based support to the UPA government.
Tamil Nadu goes to polls on April 13.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy