Congress sends positive signal to JD (S) faction
Thiruvananthapuram: Congress-led UDF in
Kerala on Monday sent positive signals to the Janata Dal (S)
faction led by M P Veerendrakumar, which had shown interest in
becoming a partner of the coalition after snapping ties with
the ruling CPI (M)-led LDF.
After an high power committee meeting of the UDF here,
front convener P P Thankachan told reporters that all the
constituents of the coalition responded "positively" in taking
the JD (S) faction into the combine.
The date and venue of discussions with the JD (S) leaders
would be decided later, he said.
Earlier, speaking after a meeting of KPCC`s Political
Affairs Committee, state unit Congress chief Ramesh
Chennithala said a final decision on the matter would be taken
after consultations with the UDF constitutents.
However, both Chennithala and Thankachan ruled out any
chance of admitting the NCP, led by K Muraleedharan, son of
senior Congress leader K Karunakaran, into the UDF.
Chennithala said the approach of JDS and NCP were different
during the Lok Sabha polls. While the JD (S) faction
led by Kumar had helped the UDF in the polls, the NCP had
contested against the UDF candidates in the elections.
The JD (S) faction led by Kumar fell out with the LDF
after the CPI (M) denied the former its sitting Kozhikode seat
in Lok Sabha polls.
Rejecting the diktat of the JD (S) President H D Deve
Gowda, the Kumar faction had on July 12 decided to start
negotiations with the UDF.
Meanwhile, Muraleedharan said NCP`s political stand was to
have an alliance with the UDF and oppose the LDF. The NCP was
having tie-up with congress in other states, he pointed out.
Referring to Chennithala`s statement, Muraleedharan said he
had conveyed the state party unit stand to NCP national
NCP Chief Sharad Pawar would take the initiative and
resolve the issue, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested