Congress stages walk out in Puducherry
Puducherry: All seven Opposition Congress legislators staged a walk out from the Assembly Monday to protest against government`s `soft attitude` towards agitators and trouble makers indulging in violence and attacking property under the garb of Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
Minutes before the House took up the debate on motion of thanks to the Lt Governor`s address, leader of the opposition V Vaithilingam and Congress legislator K Lakshminarayanan rose to draw Speaker V Sabapathy`s attention to lack of stern action by police against those who attacked the camp office of Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy last week after burning effigies of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi` under the garb of Tamils issue.
Vaithilingam said the world famous Aurobindo Ashram and the office of Tamil daily Dinamalar were also attacked by the miscreants.
Lakshminarayanan presented to the Speaker a video cassette in support of his complaint that the trouble makers had resorted to serious violence and police preferred to file cases under bailable sections.
Chief Minister N Rangasamy told the members that police had taken 87 activists of Thanthai Periyar Dravidar Kazhagam into preventive custody and arrested four persons, including Kazhagam leaders for the attacks and said these `are very undesirable and highly condemnable acts`.
His statement that the four TPDK activists arrested for the attack on the ashram were released on bail drew protests from Congress members, who alleged that government was being lenient towards agitators,though they should have been booked under deterrent provisions of IPC and non bailable sections.
All seven Congress legislators then staged a walkout.
Before the walkout,Congress members and AIADMK legislators locked horns, drowning the House in noisy scenes.
Comments by A Anbalagan (AIADMK) against the Centre on Tamils issue were expunged. After the walkout, the House took up the next part of scheduled business.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'