Congress takes a dig at Narendra Modi over BJP manifesto
New Delhi: Congress on Monday took a dig at Narendra Modi as the Gujarat Chief Minister released BJP`s election manifesto promising construction of 50 lakh new houses, asking why his government did not undertake this in the last ten years.
In an apparent bid to counter the Congress` promised poll assurance of a scheme of low-cost housing, the BJP manifesto released by Modi in Ahmedabad said 50 lakh new houses would be constructed for them over the next five years.
"Due to development in Gujarat in the last 10 years, there has been substantial rise in this neo-middle class. We want to address their issues. We will form a committee to define this neo middle class," Modi said.
Taking a swipe at the BJP leader, Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari said, "I think it is peculiar. With great respect it is a little bizarre. It is someone saying I created the internet. If the middle class in this country has prospered, it is because of the policies which have been put in place by UPA government.
"It is because of the sustained 8 percent growth which this country has witnessed from 2004 to 2012 and we have not done a favour".
Tewari also wondered what the Modi government was doing for the last 10 years when his government was in power there and asked why was he announcing the Housing scheme now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH