Congress to be revamped ahead of Assembly elections in UP
Meerut: With an eye on the next Assembly
elections in Uttar Pradesh, some district units of Congress
are likely to be revamped soon and new presidents appointed to
galvanise the party.
"Inactive and incompetent district and city Congress
presidents will be replaced by new heads," UPCC Chief Rita
Bahuguna Joshi said in Lucknow.
Names of new presidents are being finalised, she said.
Congress, which is trying hard to regain its moorings
in the largest state having 80 Lok Sabha constituencies,
improved its tally in the parliamentary elections in May this
year bagging 21 seats compared to nine in 2004.
While, Assembly elections in the state are due in
2012, by-elections to 11 Assembly constituencies are due on
November 7 at Powagan (SC), Lucknow West, Padrouna, Rari,
Isauli, Jhansi, Kolasala, Hainsar Bazar, Lalitpur, Etawah and
Blaming Chief Minister Mayawati for rising crime
against women, Joshi alleged that no effective steps have been
taken to provide security to the fairer sex.
"Despite having a woman as Chief Minister, women are
not feeling secure at all. It seems there is no law and order
worth the name," she said.
Describing as inadequate the measures taken by the
state government to tackle the drought situation, she said her
party will launch an agitation in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes