Contador doping issue likely to land before Arbitration court
Mumbai: The issue of culpability of three
times Tour de France winner Alberto Contador, who is facing a
one-year ban after testing positive for a banned substance, is
likely to land before Court of Arbitration for Sport, said Pat
McQuaid, International Cycling Union (UCI) President.
"The Spanish Cycling Federation had recommended a
one-year ban on Contador. However, he won`t accept it and
has presented some new facts. Spanish Association will take a
decision in a day or two after which we get till the end of
February to go to the arbitrator," McQuaid said.
McQuaid was here yesterday to oversee the preparations
for `Tour de Mumbai`, the upcoming two-stage cycling event.
Contador tested positive for clenbuterol at last year`s
Tour de France, which he had won. However, the ace cyclist
pleaded innocence, claiming that contaminated meat was
responsible for his being testing positive.
If found guilty, Contador will be stripped of his title.
Asked about the allegations of doping levelled against
seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong by former
champion Floyd Landis, McQuaid said it could be out of
"Landis is the first champion who was caught and
suspended. He feels he is a victim as others have gotten
away....but there`s a bit of revenge in what he says," he
McQuaid said though doping has been the bane of cycling
for long, it is not the only sport to suffer from it.
"Cheating is involved in all sports and in all facets of
life. The UCI is the most advanced sports organisation in the
world in terms of technology against doping, and we spent over
5.5 million Euro on fight against doping last year," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened