Contador takes control of Paris-Nice cycling race
Mende: Spain`s Alberto Contador secured a Paris-Nice double whammy by winning the race`s fourth stage amid wintry conditions here, becoming the overall leader in the process.
The Astana rider attacked 1700 metres from the line to finish 10 seconds ahead of compatriots Alejandro Valverde and Samuel Sanchez after the 173.5 kilometre ride from Maurs-la-Jolie.
Another Spaniard, Joaquim Rodriguez, finished fourth, with Frenchman Thomas Voeckler 18sec off the pace in fifth.
"I didn`t feel great," said Contador. "It was cold, really very cold, during the stage. I hope the temperature will increase.”
"Paris-Nice isn`t over. I even think the hard part is just starting. There are three difficult stages remaining and you shouldn`t forget that Paris-Nice is one of the most difficult races of the season to control."
Overnight leader Jens Voigt of Germany conceded 40 seconds to Contador after falling behind during the gruelling 3km climb to the finish line.
In the new overall classification, reigning Tour de France champion Contador is 24 seconds ahead of Valverde.
Contador`s victory was his fifth stage win in the Paris-Nice race and the second time he has won the stage ending in Mende.
His first major professional race victory came with the 2007 Paris-Nice, which laid the foundations for his first Tour de France triumph later that year.
Friday`s fifth stage is a 157km ride south from Pernes-les-Fontaines to Aix-en-Provence. The race finishes in Nice on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read