Controversy on Anand`s citizenship disappointing: Bindra
New Delhi: Olympic gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra termed the row over Vishwanathan Anand`s citizenship as "disappointing" and said the World chess champion should get the respect he deserves.
"Obviously what has happened is very disappointing. He is a big hero. I don`t exactly know the details but he must get all the respect," Bindra told reporters here.
A move to confer an honorary doctorate on Anand by the University of Hyderabad was today embroiled in controversy with the Union Human Resource Development Ministry raising doubts over his nationality as he holds an Indian passport but lives in Spain.
The HRD Minister Kapil Sibal spoke to Anand and is understood to have urged him to accept the award. The University of Hyderabad then decided to confer the doctorate to Anand on a later date.
Sibal also apologised to Anand and made it clear that his nationality was never questioned by the ministry.
"I told him that the honorary degree could be conferred today itself. He indicated to me that he had some problem about this evening. Then I told him any date of his convenience for the function was okay. He has accepted it," Sibal told a press conference.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list