Corinthians offer to bring Tevez rejected: Reports
Sao Paulo: Corinthians have made an offer to Manchester City to bring Carlos Tevez back to Brazil, club president Andres Sanchez said, although British media reported that the bid had already been rejected.
"When I was in Argentina (recently), I spoke to Tevez`s agent. (Tevez) wants to return to South America and Corinthians have made an offer," Sanchez told a news conference.
The offer to City is 40 million euros (USD 57 million) to be paid in four tranches from the club`s TV broadcasting income, which is worth about 100 million Brazilian real (USD 64 million) per annum, said a club source who wished to remain anonymous.
"If the deal goes through, the contract with Tevez would be for a minimum of four years," Sanchez said, adding it would have to be completed quickly because the transfer window for players coming into Brazil from abroad closes on July 20.
"Now it depends on Manchester City. A deal is close but if by Sunday we have no official announcement, it`s unlikely he`ll come this year."
Tevez, who helped Corinthians win the Brazilian championship in 2005, and is now with Argentina at the Copa America in his home country, issued a statement last week saying for personal reasons he no longer wished to stay at Premier League City.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured