Costly goals inspire Honduras rout of Costa Rica
San Pedro Sula: Carlos Costly continued his impressive strike rate in World Cup qualifiers when he netted twice to help Honduras thrash CONCACAF zone leaders Costa Rica 4-0 on Wednesday.
Veteran Carlos Pavon was also on target as the Hondurans jumped up to second in the final stage of the region`s qualifying tournament, two points behind their opponents.
Costly, who scored twice in the 3-1 home win over Mexico and notched the winner against El Salvador, opened the scoring in the 31st minute, converting a pass from Pavon, and completed the rout with a stoppage time goal.
In between, 35-year-old Pavon scored in the 51st minute after collecting the ball with his back to goal, turning and firing a shot past Ricardo Gonzalez.
Melvin Valladares added the third in the 90th minute.
Costa Rica stayed top of the six-team group on 12 points from six games and Honduras moved ahead of the United States on goal difference.
The top three teams qualify directly for next year`s World Cup in South Africa and the fourth plays off over two legs against the fifth team from South America.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter