Costly goals inspire Honduras rout of Costa Rica
San Pedro Sula: Carlos Costly continued his impressive strike rate in World Cup qualifiers when he netted twice to help Honduras thrash CONCACAF zone leaders Costa Rica 4-0 on Wednesday.
Veteran Carlos Pavon was also on target as the Hondurans jumped up to second in the final stage of the region`s qualifying tournament, two points behind their opponents.
Costly, who scored twice in the 3-1 home win over Mexico and notched the winner against El Salvador, opened the scoring in the 31st minute, converting a pass from Pavon, and completed the rout with a stoppage time goal.
In between, 35-year-old Pavon scored in the 51st minute after collecting the ball with his back to goal, turning and firing a shot past Ricardo Gonzalez.
Melvin Valladares added the third in the 90th minute.
Costa Rica stayed top of the six-team group on 12 points from six games and Honduras moved ahead of the United States on goal difference.
The top three teams qualify directly for next year`s World Cup in South Africa and the fourth plays off over two legs against the fifth team from South America.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?