Countries` response to 26/11: WikiLeaks reveals
Melbourne: In the aftermath of 26/11, diplomats from US, Australia, New Zealand, UK and Canada had decided not to get "sucked into" the Indo-Pak blame game and stop short of blasting India on the huge intelligence failure, disclosures by WikiLeaks show, according to WikiLeaks.
A confidential cable released by WikiLeaks relating to the Mumbai terror attack relates to the international response to the deadly incident that killed 166 people, including
The cable from December 2008 describes a meeting between New Zealand, US, Australian, British and Canadian diplomats in the aftermath of the attacks, according to WikiLeaks.
All the representatives resolved not to get "sucked into the blame game" being played by Pakistan and India, the cable said.
It said the representatives decided that any offers of assistance to India should be made "carefully" to avoid being interpreted as politically motivated.
They had earlier agreed to send sympathetic messages to India rather than "pound" it for the "massive intelligence failure" that led to the attacks, it said.
In the leaked cable, US ambassador to India David Mulford speculated on whether the attacks were ordered by Pakistan`s intelligence service ISI.
In a segment titled "The Million Dollar Question", he noted links between Pakistan intelligence and the extremist group that perpetrated them, Lashkar-e-Toiba.
However, he said "there is no clear evidence yet to suggest that ISI directed or facilitated the attacks".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!