Court may decide on reopening Aarushi case today
New Delhi: A special CBI court in Ghaziabad Tuesday is expected to deliver its verdict on whether or not the Aarushi Talwar double murder case be reopened for further probe.
The investigating agency, CBI, had on Dec 29 last year, filed its closure report seeking to close the case, but importantly, also claimed that Aarushi’s father Rajesh Talwar was a “suspected accused” in the case but no chargesheet was filed against him due to lack of sufficient evidence.
On Jan 22, the court had rejected a plea by slain Aarushi Talwar’s parents seeking a copy of all documents pertaining to the CBI’s investigations into the murder case. The CBI had strongly opposed the handing over of documents to them citing its concerns about Aarushi’s father’s role in the entire case.
RK Saini, CBI’s lawyer, requested the court not to allow Rajesh Talwar, a dentist, to get the documents, including the statements of 150 witnesses.
He also said Talwar “is not away from being the main suspect” in the case. The Uttar Pradesh police had already arrested him and the court had sent him to judicial custody. But the CBI, in the absence of a clear cut motive and incomplete understanding of the sequence of events and non-recovery of the weapon of offense, had submitted a closure report.
To this, Talwar’s lawyer Satish Tamta argued that if Talwar was a suspected accused, then why was no chargesheet filed against him and sought that the case be reopened.
Aarushi, 14, was found murdered under mysterious circumstances in her parents` Jalvayu Vihar apartment in Noida, May 16, 2008. Their domestic help Hemraj`s body was found on the flat`s terrace a day later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?