Court official gets two years RI in bribery case
New Delhi: A former employee of a lower
court in Guwahati was sentenced to two years rigorous
imprisonment in a graft case.
"The Special Judge, CBI, Guwahati has sentenced Dhiraj
Barman, the then Lower Division Assistant of Kamrup Guwahati
Court to undergo two years rigorous imprisonment with a total
fine of Rs 5,000 in a bribery case," a CBI spokesperson said
Following the direction from Gauhati High Court, the
anti-corruption branch of CBI in Guwahati has registered a
case against Barman for allegedly demanding a bribe from the
candidates for appointment as Lower Division Assistant in
"The modus operandi adopted by the accused was that he,
in conspiracy with others, in 2004 had demanded illegal
gratification ranging from Rs 1.2 lakh to 1.5 lakh from the
candidates after holding of the interview and before
declaration of the final result on false assurance of ensuring
their selection as Lower Division Assistant (LDA ) in the High
Court," he said.
The chargesheet was filed in April 2006, against Barman,
Lower Division Assistant (LDA ), posted at District and
Sessions Judge Court, Kamrup, Guwahati under different
Sections of IPC and Prevention of Corruption Act.
"The court found the accused guilty and convicted him,"
the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog