Court official gets two years RI in bribery case
New Delhi: A former employee of a lower
court in Guwahati was sentenced to two years rigorous
imprisonment in a graft case.
"The Special Judge, CBI, Guwahati has sentenced Dhiraj
Barman, the then Lower Division Assistant of Kamrup Guwahati
Court to undergo two years rigorous imprisonment with a total
fine of Rs 5,000 in a bribery case," a CBI spokesperson said
Following the direction from Gauhati High Court, the
anti-corruption branch of CBI in Guwahati has registered a
case against Barman for allegedly demanding a bribe from the
candidates for appointment as Lower Division Assistant in
"The modus operandi adopted by the accused was that he,
in conspiracy with others, in 2004 had demanded illegal
gratification ranging from Rs 1.2 lakh to 1.5 lakh from the
candidates after holding of the interview and before
declaration of the final result on false assurance of ensuring
their selection as Lower Division Assistant (LDA ) in the High
Court," he said.
The chargesheet was filed in April 2006, against Barman,
Lower Division Assistant (LDA ), posted at District and
Sessions Judge Court, Kamrup, Guwahati under different
Sections of IPC and Prevention of Corruption Act.
"The court found the accused guilty and convicted him,"
the official added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India