CP not the place to be on New Year’s: Hindustan Times
New Delhi: It used to be the Capital’s most happening destination on New Year’s eve. But this year, things are going to be quite dull in CP.
With the New Delhi Municipal Council undertaking the restoration of the 74-year-old Connaught Place market, the area is already a nightmare for shoppers, traders and office-goers.
And from January 1, parking will not be allowed in the Outer Circle. Parking is already scarce in the Inner Circle where corridors and sidewalks have been dug up.
Traders, already seeing a dip in sales, have had to cancel the annual winter shopping carnival, an important event in CP’s calender.
“Owing to the renovation work and the resulting lack of parking space, many shoppers have given CP a miss this year,” said Atul Bhargava, president, New Delhi Traders’ Association.
With the existing five subways being shut for renovation for 80 days, the Outer Circle has become a haphazard jungle of jaywalkers.
“Dodging pedestrians while driving has become a major problem in CP,” said Alok Kapoor (26), an MNC executive. “If not for the slow-moving traffic, there would be so many fatal traffic accidents every day.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda
- Sheena Bora on Indrani Mukerjea in her diary: `I hate my mother...she is a witch`