CPI(M) hits out at Centre on Ministers visiting Lalgarh
New Delhi: Accusing Union Ministers
belonging to Trinamool Congress of "instigating" violence
while visiting sensitive areas in West Bengal like Lalgarh,
the CPI(M) on Friday asked the Centre and the Congress to clarify
their stand on the issue.
"Members of the Union Cabinet are camping in sensitive
areas like Lalgarh, where joint operations are going on
against Maoists are going on. They are instigating such
elements and aiding and abetting violence," CPI(M) leader
Sitaram Yechury told reporters here.
He said while Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had
himself declared the Maoist threat as the "gravest, ministers
of his cabinet are visiting affected areas and instigating
violence. The Government and the Congress party should explain
how this is happening."
"The Cabinet functions on the basis of collective
responsibility. How are some ministers not following the
cabinet decisions. Government has to answer," Yechury asked.
Referring to a Chief Ministers` meeting convened by
on Maoists violence on August 17, he said the Centre should
work with the concerned state governments and evolve
coordinated efforts to jointly tackle the problem.
Yechury said the experience of security forces chasing
sandalwood smuggler Veerappan for two decades before he was
killed "should not be repeated". Veerappan used to shift base
from Tamil Nadu to Kerala or Karnataka to flee from the
A similar situation is being faced by the anti-Maoist
forces in Bengal, Orissa and Jharkhand, he said.
The CPI(M) had earlier accused Trinamool Congress of
fomenting violence in West Bengal, saying it was part of its
"conspiracy" to create a law and order situation and then
demand dismissal of the Left Front government so that assembly
elections could be held under central rule.
The party opposed the recent visit of two Union
ministers of Trinamool Congress, Mukul Roy and Sisir Adhikari,
to Lalgarh, charging them with "inciting" violence, provoking
confrontation with security forces undertaking anti-Maoist
operations and opposing these operations.
Senior party leader Basudeb Acharia also protested the
"continued disturbances" in Lok Sabha by Trinamool MPs
whenever CPI(M) members stood up to speak, even when the issue
was as important as price rise.
"What is surprising is that these members of the
Treasury Bench are continuously creating disturbances, holding
up proceedings and getting the House adjourned. This has never
happened before. They are also being incited to come to the
well of the House," he said.
"We are getting the impression that even the
government was not interested in holding a debate on price
rise," Acharia said, adding that several instances of
Trinamool MPs disturbing Left members occured during the
session when debates on crucial issues like price rise,
railway budget or the Metro Rail bill were taking place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly