Cricketer Gagandeep shot dead,1 arrested
Meerut: Cricketer Gagandeep Singh, who represented India in an under-19 series in Australia, was shot dead after being caught in a row between a shopkeeper and a customer in the city, police said on Saturday.
The alleged assailant Rahul has been arrested and the weapon used in the crime, a .32 bore revolver, recovered from him, Inspector General of Police Javed Akhtar said.
Police are searching for two other persons involved in the crime.
The incident occurred around 11:30 pm last night when the cricketer along with his friend was standing outside a shop selling ‘kebabs’.
Police said a man got out of the car and demanded that he be served kebabs. When the shopkeeper Shahnawaz asked him to wait, he started abusing him.
Another man, whose face was covered, then came out of the car and started firing in which Gagandeep and the shopkeeper were killed, police said.
Residents of the area rushed the seriously injured Gagandeep and Shahnawaz to a hospital where they were declared brought dead. Another man identified as Sharif was injured in the incident.
SP city said, “there was an argument at the kebab stall over a small matter in which there was firing and the stall owner and Gagandeep were killed.”
Singh had come to the city to play in the G K Naidu tournament.
The cricketer’s uncle Mahendra Singh said, “Gagandeep had come to the city on October six. He has been playing cricket since he was 10. He has played under-15, under-19 and now he was playing under-22”.
Head of the Meerut Cricket Association Yudhveer Singh said, “Singh had just come from Australia after playing in under-19 for India. We have lost a budding star”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow