Cricketer Gagandeep shot dead,1 arrested
Meerut: Cricketer Gagandeep Singh, who represented India in an under-19 series in Australia, was shot dead after being caught in a row between a shopkeeper and a customer in the city, police said on Saturday.
The alleged assailant Rahul has been arrested and the weapon used in the crime, a .32 bore revolver, recovered from him, Inspector General of Police Javed Akhtar said.
Police are searching for two other persons involved in the crime.
The incident occurred around 11:30 pm last night when the cricketer along with his friend was standing outside a shop selling ‘kebabs’.
Police said a man got out of the car and demanded that he be served kebabs. When the shopkeeper Shahnawaz asked him to wait, he started abusing him.
Another man, whose face was covered, then came out of the car and started firing in which Gagandeep and the shopkeeper were killed, police said.
Residents of the area rushed the seriously injured Gagandeep and Shahnawaz to a hospital where they were declared brought dead. Another man identified as Sharif was injured in the incident.
SP city said, “there was an argument at the kebab stall over a small matter in which there was firing and the stall owner and Gagandeep were killed.”
Singh had come to the city to play in the G K Naidu tournament.
The cricketer’s uncle Mahendra Singh said, “Gagandeep had come to the city on October six. He has been playing cricket since he was 10. He has played under-15, under-19 and now he was playing under-22”.
Head of the Meerut Cricket Association Yudhveer Singh said, “Singh had just come from Australia after playing in under-19 for India. We have lost a budding star”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation