Curfew continues in communally charged Sangli
Pune: The situation at Miraj in
neighbouring Sangli district continued to be tense but under
control even as the Ganesh immersion disrupted due to communal
violence, recommenced last night under police protection.
The Miraj township and Sangli city continued to be
under curfew imposed on Saturday night, official sources said
In Miraj, 70 per cent of Sarvajanik Ganesh idols had
been immersed till this morning after authorities held
discussions with various social organisations in order to
The trouble had started on the Anant Chaturdashi day--
September 3-- when some pro-Hindutva organisations tried to
raise an arch on the immersion procession route, depicting
murder of Mogul warrior Afzulkhan by King Shivaji recorded in
the Maratha history.
This led to clash between two groups and violence that
had repercussions in Sangli city also.
Meanwhile, Maharashtra Home Minister Jayant Patil who
visited the trouble spots, told reporters that 23 persons had
been arrested in connection with the violent incidents over
the last four days.
The State Director General of police S S Virk was
personally supervising the situation.
The authorities today announced relaxation of curfew
in Miraj for half an hour in the morning. The curfew will
remain in force in Miraj till afternoon tomorrow, they added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended