Curfew continues in communally charged Sangli
Pune: The situation at Miraj in
neighbouring Sangli district continued to be tense but under
control even as the Ganesh immersion disrupted due to communal
violence, recommenced last night under police protection.
The Miraj township and Sangli city continued to be
under curfew imposed on Saturday night, official sources said
In Miraj, 70 per cent of Sarvajanik Ganesh idols had
been immersed till this morning after authorities held
discussions with various social organisations in order to
The trouble had started on the Anant Chaturdashi day--
September 3-- when some pro-Hindutva organisations tried to
raise an arch on the immersion procession route, depicting
murder of Mogul warrior Afzulkhan by King Shivaji recorded in
the Maratha history.
This led to clash between two groups and violence that
had repercussions in Sangli city also.
Meanwhile, Maharashtra Home Minister Jayant Patil who
visited the trouble spots, told reporters that 23 persons had
been arrested in connection with the violent incidents over
the last four days.
The State Director General of police S S Virk was
personally supervising the situation.
The authorities today announced relaxation of curfew
in Miraj for half an hour in the morning. The curfew will
remain in force in Miraj till afternoon tomorrow, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!