`Cut off the head of the snake`: Saudi King told US on Iran
Washington: Fearing the rise of a nuclear
Iran, Saudi Arabia wanted the US to destroy Tehran`s atomic
programme, with its King Abdullah calling on Washington to
"cut off the head of the snake", according to secret American
documents released by WikiLeaks.
The leak of the classified American diplomatic cables by
the whistle-blower website, which is being reported by
newspapers across the globe, revealed that the countries in
the Middle East feel threatened from Iran rather than Israel,
against the general impression.
For instance, Saudi King Abdullah repeatedly urged
the United States to destroy the Iranian programme. He told
Americans to "cut off the head of the snake`," Saudi
ambassador to Washington, Adel al-Jubeir, said, according to a
leaked cable on the monarch`s meeting with the US general
David Petraeus in April 2008.
Abdullah told a US diplomat: "The bottom line is that
they (the Iranians) cannot be trusted."
Officials from Jordan also called for the Iranian
programme to be stopped by any means necessary while leaders
of the United Arab Emirates and Egypt referred to Tehran as
"evil" and an "existential threat."
UAE Crown Prince bin Zayed of Abu Dhabi said in
one cable: "Any culture that is patient and focused enough to
spend years working on a single carpet is capable of waiting
years and even decades to achieve even greater goals."
His greatest worry, he said, "is not how much we know
about Iran, but how much we don`t."
According to another cable, Kuwait`s military
intelligence chief told Petraeus Iran was supporting Shi`ite
groups in the Gulf and extremists in Yemen.
In another key document, King Hamad of Bahrain "argued
forcefully for taking action to terminate the Iranian
nuclear programme, by whatever means necessary. That programme
must be stopped."
"The danger of letting it go on is greater than the
danger of stopping it," he said.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has alleged that
the cables were deliberately released as part of a
psychological warfare campaign against his country.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory