CWG: Another co-accused of Kalmadi surrenders
New Delhi: The promoter of a Hyderabad-based firm, wanted by the CBI for his alleged involvement in award of a lucrative Commonwealth Games contract to a Swiss firm at inflated rates, on Saturday surrendered in a Delhi court.
Promoter of AKR Constructions, A K Reddy, who had been evading arrest since February this year and declared a proclaimed offender, surrendered before Special CBI Judge Talwant Singh, who remanded him to judicial custody.
"An application for surrender has been moved by accused A K Reddy and is allowed," the judge said.
The court also allowed Reddy to carry spectacles, one strip each of some prescribed medicines and the medical prescriptions to jail and directed prison authorities to have him medically examined by the jail doctors today itself.
On his plea for carrying spare clothing and a leather-strapped wrist watch, the judge directed his family members to directly make a request to the jail superintendent.
Besides Reddy, his firm AKR Constructions is also an accused in the case.
On August 16, two other accused and promoters of Faridabad-based Gem International, Purushottam Dev Arya and A K Madan, who too were on the run since February, had surrendered before the court.
Reddy`s AKR Constructions was sub-contracted the Time Scoring and Result work for the Games by Gem International, which itself was a sub-contractor of Swiss Timing, which was allegedly illegally awarded the contract by then CWG Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi due to his links with Arya, Madan and Reddy.
The award of the contract at an inflated rate had caused a loss of over Rs 90 crore to the public exchequer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi- Part II
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Federation Cup National Athletics: Lalita Babar sets national mark, Sudha Singh joins her in 2016 Rio Olympics 3000m steeple
- Delhi Speaker nominates 13 AAP MLAs as members of civic bodies
- Sharad Pawar endorses Nitish Kumar as face of united oppn, Congress stays mum
- Indian Mathematician mimics viruses to design smallest self-assembling structures
- TN polls: DMK promises metro rail service for Coimbatore