CWG corruption scandal: Randhir wants OC Exec Board meeting
New Delhi: Concerned by reports of large-scale corruption in the Commonwealth Games preparations, IOA Secretary General Randhir Singh called for an emergency meeting of the Organising Committee`s executive board.
In a letter to OC chairman Suresh Kalmadi, Randhir, who is also the OC vice-President, said that the meeting should be called immediately considering the gravity of the allegations.
"In pursuance to media reports published in a leading daily about financial irregularities alleged in the Queen`s Baton Relay at the Buckingham Palace. Since the situation is grave, the discussion should be held immediately," Randhir said in his letter.
A major scam hit the CWG OC on Friday when it was revealed that a little-known UK firm was paid lakhs of pounds for its "services" during the London leg of the Queen`s Baton relay.
Kalmadi had admitted that there was no contract under which payments were made to the company which was roped in "at the last minute".
Kalmadi, who convened a press conference to clear the air, said the Indian High Commission had recommended the name of A M Films, and "if there is something wrong there, I am not responsible for it".
"There is no contract between the OC and A M Films which was roped in at the last minute only on the recommendation of the Indian High Commission in London", he said.
The OC is reported to have made a payment of nearly 2.5 lakh pounds for video equipment purchase while A M Films has claimed that it provided services of car hire, makeshift toilets, barriers and electricity.
IOA vice-President V K Malhotra, a BJP leader, has also called for a meeting to discuss the allegations of corruption in the Games` preparations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof