CWG corruption scandal: Randhir wants OC Exec Board meeting
New Delhi: Concerned by reports of large-scale corruption in the Commonwealth Games preparations, IOA Secretary General Randhir Singh called for an emergency meeting of the Organising Committee`s executive board.
In a letter to OC chairman Suresh Kalmadi, Randhir, who is also the OC vice-President, said that the meeting should be called immediately considering the gravity of the allegations.
"In pursuance to media reports published in a leading daily about financial irregularities alleged in the Queen`s Baton Relay at the Buckingham Palace. Since the situation is grave, the discussion should be held immediately," Randhir said in his letter.
A major scam hit the CWG OC on Friday when it was revealed that a little-known UK firm was paid lakhs of pounds for its "services" during the London leg of the Queen`s Baton relay.
Kalmadi had admitted that there was no contract under which payments were made to the company which was roped in "at the last minute".
Kalmadi, who convened a press conference to clear the air, said the Indian High Commission had recommended the name of A M Films, and "if there is something wrong there, I am not responsible for it".
"There is no contract between the OC and A M Films which was roped in at the last minute only on the recommendation of the Indian High Commission in London", he said.
The OC is reported to have made a payment of nearly 2.5 lakh pounds for video equipment purchase while A M Films has claimed that it provided services of car hire, makeshift toilets, barriers and electricity.
IOA vice-President V K Malhotra, a BJP leader, has also called for a meeting to discuss the allegations of corruption in the Games` preparations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?