CWG: Cost of CPWD stadia jumped by Rs 1,110 cr
New Delhi: The cost of construction of five
Commonwealth Games venues by Central Public Works Department
(CPWD) escalated by over Rs 1,110 crore than the original
Besides, over Rs 20 crore were spent on installing
closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras in three other
stadiums, developed by Public Works Department, in the
The CPWD had renovated Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium Complex,
Indira Gandhi Stadium Complex, Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee
Swimming Pool Complex, Major Dhyanchand National Stadium and
Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range for the CWG held here between
October 3 and 14, 2010.
A total of Rs 42 crore was spent on taking consultancy
"A consolidated sum of Rs 1,000 crore (plus or minus 10
per cent) was sanctioned for these stadiums initially. No
stadium wise cost was approved. Later, revised sanction for Rs
2,460 crore was accorded by Cabinet," the CPWD said in an RTI
The money allocation was proposed by the Commonwealth
Games Organising Committee, Sports Authority of India and
Ministry of Youths Affairs and Sports, it said in reply to the
RTI filed by Vivek Garg.
Interestingly, an amount of Rs 345.12 still remains
un-utilised by the construction agency.
The PWD spent Rs 396.06 crore in construction of
Thyagraj Sports Complex (spread in 65,544 square metre)
Chhatrasal Stadium (57,465 sq m) and Ludlow Castle Wrestling
Training Venues (17,766 sq m), which include Rs 20.14 crore on
CCTV cameras and Rs 5.81 crore as consultancy charges, the
About 11 venues were renovated by different civic and
construction agencies like CPWD, PWD, Municipal Corporation of
Delhi and Delhi Development Authority for the mega sporting
Besides, the DDA has developed Commonwealth Games
Village in over 63.5 hectares area that includes residential
complexes, huge practice and recreational area near Akshardham
temple in east Delhi.
The Central Vigilance Commission, apex anti-corruption
body, is enquiring into financial and administrative
irregularities in several Games-related projects.
CBI has also registered three FIRs in connection with
alleged irregularities in the Games, and questioned OC
Secretary General Lalit Bhanot among others. It has also asked
OC chief Suresh Kalmadi to appear before it for questioning in
connection with the alleged scam.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij