CWG mess: Shunglu committee submits interim report to PMO
Shunglu committee submitted an interim report on alleged irregularities in awarding broadcasting rights during Commonwealth Games to the PMO, even as the term of the panel has been extended till March 31 to submit full report.
New Delhi: Shunglu committee on Monday submitted
an interim report on alleged irregularities in awarding
broadcasting rights during Commonwealth Games to the PMO, even
as the term of the panel has been extended till March 31 to
submit its full report.
Sources said that the committee in its interim report
dealt with the deal by public broabdcaster Prasar Bharti with
UK-based SIS Live -- which had earlier come under the scanner
of the Income Tax department regarding alleged violations of
tax rules and subsequent evasion.
Further details of the report were not immediately known.
The PMO has extended the term of the panel till March 31.
The high-level committee was set up by the Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh on October 25 last year and asked to submit its
report within three months time.
The committee has collected CWG projects related
documents running into several thousands from different
central and state government departments and studying them to
ascertain the wrong doings.
Sources said that the panel is facing shortage of
manpower to collect and compile its report and has sought
additional hands from the PMO. Former Secretary of Department
of Personnel and Training, Shantanu Consul, is also a member
of the high-powered panel.
Shunglu, a former Comptroller and Auditor General, was
not available for comments.
Several projects done by Municipal Corporation of
Delhi (MCD), New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC), Delhi
Development Authority (DDA), Public Works Department (PWD),
Central Public Works Department (CPWD), RITES (a government of
India enterprise), Sports Ministry, Urban Development Ministry
and Games Organising Committee among others are under the
scanner of enforcement, investigating and vigilance agencies
for alleged bunglings.
The Central Vigilance Commission is enquiring into
over 30 complaints related to alleged corruption in Games
related works. It includes overlays works, workforce
selection, hiring of equipment and public relation related
projects executed by OC among others.
Besides, the Central Bureau of Investigation has
registered four FIRs naming some of the close aides of OC
chairman Suresh Kalmadi for alleged criminal conspiracy and
financial irregularities in executing the contracts.
CBI has also questioned Kalmadi and OC Secretary general
Lalit Bhanot among others in connection with its cases.
I-T department and Enforcement Directorate are also
involved in the investigations related to alleged financial
irregularities in works related to mega sporting event held
here between October 3-14 last year.