CWG Scam: Kalmadi, Bhanot sacked from CWG OC
New Delhi: In a whiplash of the corruption claims during the hosting of the Commonwealth Games 2010, the event’s chairman Suresh Kalmadi was sacked with immediate effect. Moreover, Kalmadi has been asked to hand over charge to CWG CEO Jarnail Singh.
His close aid Lalit Bhanot has also been removed as Secretary General of CWG Organising Committee.
This came after the new sports minister Ajay Maken took charge and promised quick completion of the issues like the settlement of the overdue bills to foreign firms that had helped in the execution of the opening and closing ceremonies of the mega-event. The decision to remove Kalmadi and Bhanot has been taken by the sports minister in the interest of impartial probe being conducted by the Central Bureau of Investigation.
Maken has made clear that the payment that are due will be paid despite the sacking of the OC members and asserted that 70% of the payments have already been paid in an interview with a news channel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chase master Kohli stars as India beat Kiwis by 7 wickets, lead series 2-1
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption