CWG Scam: Kalmadi, Bhanot sacked from CWG OC
New Delhi: In a whiplash of the corruption claims during the hosting of the Commonwealth Games 2010, the event’s chairman Suresh Kalmadi was sacked with immediate effect. Moreover, Kalmadi has been asked to hand over charge to CWG CEO Jarnail Singh.
His close aid Lalit Bhanot has also been removed as Secretary General of CWG Organising Committee.
This came after the new sports minister Ajay Maken took charge and promised quick completion of the issues like the settlement of the overdue bills to foreign firms that had helped in the execution of the opening and closing ceremonies of the mega-event. The decision to remove Kalmadi and Bhanot has been taken by the sports minister in the interest of impartial probe being conducted by the Central Bureau of Investigation.
Maken has made clear that the payment that are due will be paid despite the sacking of the OC members and asserted that 70% of the payments have already been paid in an interview with a news channel.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata