CWG Scam: Kalmadi, Bhanot sacked from CWG OC
New Delhi: In a whiplash of the corruption claims during the hosting of the Commonwealth Games 2010, the event’s chairman Suresh Kalmadi was sacked with immediate effect. Moreover, Kalmadi has been asked to hand over charge to CWG CEO Jarnail Singh.
His close aid Lalit Bhanot has also been removed as Secretary General of CWG Organising Committee.
This came after the new sports minister Ajay Maken took charge and promised quick completion of the issues like the settlement of the overdue bills to foreign firms that had helped in the execution of the opening and closing ceremonies of the mega-event. The decision to remove Kalmadi and Bhanot has been taken by the sports minister in the interest of impartial probe being conducted by the Central Bureau of Investigation.
Maken has made clear that the payment that are due will be paid despite the sacking of the OC members and asserted that 70% of the payments have already been paid in an interview with a news channel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users