CWG Scam: Kalmadi, Bhanot sacked from CWG OC
New Delhi: In a whiplash of the corruption claims during the hosting of the Commonwealth Games 2010, the event’s chairman Suresh Kalmadi was sacked with immediate effect. Moreover, Kalmadi has been asked to hand over charge to CWG CEO Jarnail Singh.
His close aid Lalit Bhanot has also been removed as Secretary General of CWG Organising Committee.
This came after the new sports minister Ajay Maken took charge and promised quick completion of the issues like the settlement of the overdue bills to foreign firms that had helped in the execution of the opening and closing ceremonies of the mega-event. The decision to remove Kalmadi and Bhanot has been taken by the sports minister in the interest of impartial probe being conducted by the Central Bureau of Investigation.
Maken has made clear that the payment that are due will be paid despite the sacking of the OC members and asserted that 70% of the payments have already been paid in an interview with a news channel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch