CWG scam: Mauritius-based firm under CBI scanner
New Delhi: CBI is likely to investigate the role of a Mauritius-based company for alleged irregularities in executing over Rs 70 crore contracts for providing consultancy for Commonwealth Games-related works after receiving a reference from Sports Ministry in this regard.
Acting on PMO recommendation, the Sports Ministry has sent a letter to CBI to probe the antecedents, flow of funds and works carried out by Event Knowledge Services (EKS), an international private consultant, for alleged wrongdoings.
EKS was given three contracts of over Rs 70 crore by the Games Organising Committee to extend consultancy services for the venue development and management, games workforce, and games planning and project management services.
"A reference has been received from the Sports Ministry and a preliminary enquiry into the matter is on," a CBI official said.
Taking a serious view of the Shunglu Committee``s findings, the PMO had suggested to Sports Ministry a probe by CBI and Enforcement Directorate.
It has directed "expeditious action" on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh``s order in the matter and sought the reply of Sports Ministry within a month on the fifth report of the high-level committee appointed by him.
"We will also be sending a reference to ED to probe alleged violation of foreign exchange acts and money laundering," a Sports Ministry official said.
The Committee in its report estimated financial loss of over Rs 18 crore to the Government due to alleged irregularities in granting workforce contract. .
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone