CWG to project India as sporting nation
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Tuesday
said the just-concluded Commonwealth Games will act as a
catalyst in projecting India as a sporting nation and motivate
the youth to participate in sports events.
"The Games will act as a catalyst in projecting India as a
sporting nation and motive youth, particularly from small
villages and towns, to come out and participate in sporting
events," she in the House.
Kumar said, "It is a matter of great pride to observe that
a majority of victorious sportspersons are from a rural
background. Women sportspersons too have proved their mettle
in these Games by excelling in various disciplines," she said.
The Speaker lauded the Indian contingent for winning and
"unprecedented" 101 medals in the event.
"I, on behalf of the House, congratulate all sportsmen and
sportswomen who have won medals for their country. I also
congratulate all sportspersons who participated in the Games
in the true spirit of sportsmanship and friendship," she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview