CWG without both men’s and women’s Olympic Champions
New Delhi: After men’s Olympic Champion Usain Bolt, women’s Olympic gold medallist Shelly-Ann Fraser has also decided to give a miss to this year’s Commonwealth Games.
In a big blow to the organisers, the Jamaican sprinter, who is the fourth fastest woman in the history, said she wants to concentrate on next year’s World Championship.
“It is a long season and trying to peak for the Commonwealths and then coming home in December to start training for a World Championships (next year) is too much to ask, especially for someone like me who is a also a student.
“I will be in school. I don’t think I am going,” Fraser was quoted as saying.
Fraser announced her decision at the Diamond League meeting in Eugene, Oregon, where she came second in the 100m behind another Jamaican, Veronica Campbell-Brown.
However, the organisers here refused to confirm her pull out.
“I won’t comment. The last date to submit the names of the athletes is September 3. So far we have received about 10,000 entries. Only after the cut-off date we will able to tell something,” Lalit Bhanot told reporters.
Bolt, the triple Olympic Champion had said last month that he won’t compete in the October 3-14 Games.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know