Cyclone alert for North Maharashtra coast and south Gujarat
Mumbai: A cyclone alert has been issued to
north Maharashtra and south Gujarat regions by the Met office
here as the deep depression over southeast and adjoining
central Arabian sea moved northwestwards on Tuesday.
The deep depression (system) is likely to intensify
further into a cyclonic storm and hit south Gujarat and north
Maharashtra, Met office`s evening bulletin said.
The Met office advised fishermen not to venture into the
sea along and off Kerala, Karnataka, Goa, Maharashtra and
Mumbai and neighbouring Thane district will receive heavy
to very heavy rains for the next 24 hours till tomorrow night.
Squally winds speed reaching 55-65 kmph, gusting to 75
kmph, are likely to commence along and off south Gujarat and
Kerala coasts besides Lakshadweep from tomorrow afternoon,
while it will hit Kerala, Karnataka, Goa and Maharashtra
coasts during the next 48 hours, it said.
The deep depression lay centred at 0830 hour today over
east central Arabian sea near latitude 13.0 degree North and
longitude 70.5 deg East, about 470 km west of Mangalore, 470
km southwest of Goa and 700 km south-southwest of Mumbai, the
Colaba Weather Bureau said.
"The system is likely to intensify further into a
cyclonic storm and move in northerly direction for some time
and then north-northeastwards and cross south Gujarat and
North Konkan between Mahuva and Dahanu by early hours of
November 12," Deputy Director General of India Meteorological
Department R V Sharma said.
Under its influence, heavy to very heavy rainfall at few
places and isolated and extreme rainfall is likely to occur
over Konkan and Goa and Central Maharashtra during the next
two days, he said.
Heavy to very heavy rainfall is expected in coastal
Karnataka, Kerala and Lakshadweep by tomorrow.
Over South Gujarat, rainfall at most places with
scattered heavy to very heavy falls and extremely heavy falls
are expected from tomorrow under the influence of the deep
depression, Sharma added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!