Cyclone alert for North Maharashtra coast and south Gujarat
Mumbai: A cyclone alert has been issued to
north Maharashtra and south Gujarat regions by the Met office
here as the deep depression over southeast and adjoining
central Arabian sea moved northwestwards on Tuesday.
The deep depression (system) is likely to intensify
further into a cyclonic storm and hit south Gujarat and north
Maharashtra, Met office`s evening bulletin said.
The Met office advised fishermen not to venture into the
sea along and off Kerala, Karnataka, Goa, Maharashtra and
Mumbai and neighbouring Thane district will receive heavy
to very heavy rains for the next 24 hours till tomorrow night.
Squally winds speed reaching 55-65 kmph, gusting to 75
kmph, are likely to commence along and off south Gujarat and
Kerala coasts besides Lakshadweep from tomorrow afternoon,
while it will hit Kerala, Karnataka, Goa and Maharashtra
coasts during the next 48 hours, it said.
The deep depression lay centred at 0830 hour today over
east central Arabian sea near latitude 13.0 degree North and
longitude 70.5 deg East, about 470 km west of Mangalore, 470
km southwest of Goa and 700 km south-southwest of Mumbai, the
Colaba Weather Bureau said.
"The system is likely to intensify further into a
cyclonic storm and move in northerly direction for some time
and then north-northeastwards and cross south Gujarat and
North Konkan between Mahuva and Dahanu by early hours of
November 12," Deputy Director General of India Meteorological
Department R V Sharma said.
Under its influence, heavy to very heavy rainfall at few
places and isolated and extreme rainfall is likely to occur
over Konkan and Goa and Central Maharashtra during the next
two days, he said.
Heavy to very heavy rainfall is expected in coastal
Karnataka, Kerala and Lakshadweep by tomorrow.
Over South Gujarat, rainfall at most places with
scattered heavy to very heavy falls and extremely heavy falls
are expected from tomorrow under the influence of the deep
depression, Sharma added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'