Czechs Kvitova, Berdych to play Hopman Cup
Prostejov: Reigning Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova will team up with Czech compatriot Tomas Berdych for the Hopman Cup of mixed teams in Australia at the turn of the year, their agent said Thursday.
"They are both thrilled by the idea," said Miroslav Cernosek.
Kvitova, the world number seven, and Berdych, last year`s Wimbledon finalist and the current world number nine, will use the tournament as training for the mixed doubles competition at the 2012 Olympics in London, he added.
"Mixed doubles will definitely be a very attractive event at the Olympics, with players like (Roger) Federer and (Martina) Hingis taking part," said Cernosek.
The Hopman Cup, held in Perth from December 31 to January 7, "will be different from the Fed Cup and individual tournaments, so I`m really looking forward to it and I`m sure we`ll have fun there," said Kvitova.
Jana Novotna and Petr Korda won the Czech Republic`s sole Hopman Cup, in 1994.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion
- Trump lays claim to Republican presidential nomination