Czechs Kvitova, Berdych to play Hopman Cup
Prostejov: Reigning Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova will team up with Czech compatriot Tomas Berdych for the Hopman Cup of mixed teams in Australia at the turn of the year, their agent said Thursday.
"They are both thrilled by the idea," said Miroslav Cernosek.
Kvitova, the world number seven, and Berdych, last year`s Wimbledon finalist and the current world number nine, will use the tournament as training for the mixed doubles competition at the 2012 Olympics in London, he added.
"Mixed doubles will definitely be a very attractive event at the Olympics, with players like (Roger) Federer and (Martina) Hingis taking part," said Cernosek.
The Hopman Cup, held in Perth from December 31 to January 7, "will be different from the Fed Cup and individual tournaments, so I`m really looking forward to it and I`m sure we`ll have fun there," said Kvitova.
Jana Novotna and Petr Korda won the Czech Republic`s sole Hopman Cup, in 1994.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets