Dadu wins weightlifting silver in South Asian Games
Dhaka: Indian weightlifters opened their
campaign with a silver medal through Mali Chandra Kant Dadu in
the men`s 94kg category of the 11th South Asian Games at the
National Sport Council Gymnasium Hall here on Monday.
Competing only in one category, Mali lifted 312 kgs in
snatch and clean-jerk to finish behind Usman Ajmal of
Pakistan, who got the gold.
Usman lifted 330kg, while Sri Lanka had to settle for the
bronze finishing behind India with 273kg.
Earlier, hosts Bangladesh won their first gold when
Hamidol Islam bagged it in the men`s 77kg category.
Bangladesh had a 1-2 finish with Monoronjon Roy taking
the silver. Bronze went to Mustafa Kammand of Afghanistan.
Out of eight weight categories, a country can take part
only in six.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon