Darjeeling crippled again by indefinite bandh
Siliguri (WB): Normal life in Darjeeling hills was paralysed again on Tuesday with the resumption of the indefinite bandh by the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, after a brief recess to enable the people to stock up essential commodities.
Shops, markets and business establishments downed
shutters and vehicles remained off roads after the recess of
All schools above class IV were, however, open, while the
GJM exempted tea and cinchona gardens from the purview of the
shutdown, which had not been granted initially.
The GJM also allowed vehicles from Sikkim on the National
Highway 31A that connects this north Bengal town with Gangtok.
Asked whether the GJM had received the Supreme Court`s
notice questioning why it had not kept National Highway 31A
outside the purview of the bandh earlier, its general
secretary Roshan Giri said he would comment only after the
party legal cell went through it.
Giri told agency that the GJM was yet to receive the Union
Home Ministry`s clarification whether the tripartite talks on
August 11 would be at the political level and the agenda would
be Gorkhaland as the party had demanded.
About West Bengal Government`s request to call off the
bandh, Giri said the central committee had not discussed the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert