Debt-ridden farmer commits suicide in Andhra
Karimnagar: A 28-year-old farmer, distressed
over not being able to repay loans, allegedly electrocuted
himself by climbing onto a transformer at a village in Andhra
Pradesh`s Karimnagar district, police said on Tuesday.
Dundrapalli Babu had taken loan and started farming
after he was deported from a Gulf country where he went for
work on a travelling visa, police said.
But, he had incurred heavy loss when the crop was
destroyed in heavy rains that lashed the region recently.
Though the farmer was sanctioned Rs 70,000 by the district
authorities as compensation, he could not have repaid all his
Apparently upset over it and his inability to perform
his sister`s marriage, he climbed onto the transformer in
Cheerlavancha village yesterday and died due to electrocution,
Local MLA K Tarakarama Rao has announced Rs 5,000 as
ex-gratia and Cooperative Electricity Society sanctioned
Rs 20,000 as compensation for the family of the farmer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"