Debt-ridden farmer commits suicide in Andhra
Karimnagar: A 28-year-old farmer, distressed
over not being able to repay loans, allegedly electrocuted
himself by climbing onto a transformer at a village in Andhra
Pradesh`s Karimnagar district, police said on Tuesday.
Dundrapalli Babu had taken loan and started farming
after he was deported from a Gulf country where he went for
work on a travelling visa, police said.
But, he had incurred heavy loss when the crop was
destroyed in heavy rains that lashed the region recently.
Though the farmer was sanctioned Rs 70,000 by the district
authorities as compensation, he could not have repaid all his
Apparently upset over it and his inability to perform
his sister`s marriage, he climbed onto the transformer in
Cheerlavancha village yesterday and died due to electrocution,
Local MLA K Tarakarama Rao has announced Rs 5,000 as
ex-gratia and Cooperative Electricity Society sanctioned
Rs 20,000 as compensation for the family of the farmer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed