Dedicated candidates to prevent defection: NCP
Itanagar: The NCP in Arunachal Pradesh has
said it has taken written commitments from the candidates for
the October 13 polls that they will not switch over to another
camp after the elections in the state.
"We took a written commitment from the candidates on
stamp papers that they will not switch loyalty as witnessed
in the past," party leader P A Sangma said.
Sangma along with his daughter Agatha, a Union Minister,
is on a campaign trail in the state.
"We have been very choosy in selecting our candidates.
They are young, educated and known for their commitment," he
The Congress had won 33 seats in the 60-member outgoing
assembly. The BJP had held 9 seats, NCP and Arunachal Congress
two each and Independents 14.
All MLAs of BJP and NCP later switched over to the
Congress, while the Independents and Arunachal Congress
legislators either joined the Congress or provided outside
support leaving the House without a single opposition member.
"The people are fed up with the turncoats who switch
loyalty to whichever party comes to power, a common trend
observed in most small states in the North East," Agatha
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?