Deepika settles for silver; other lead archers bite dust
Jamshedpur: CWG gold medallist Deepika
Kumari had to be content with a silver even as many star
archers including Jayanta Talukdar and Tarundeep Rai returned
empty handed from the archery event of the National Games on Thursday.
Local girl Deepika lost the individual recurve event
final 2-3 to Assam`s Prativa Boro at JRD Tata Sports complex.
Seema Verma of Jharkhand won the bronze medal after
defeating Laxmi Rani Manjhi.
The men`s individual recurve gold medal went to West
Bengal`s M R Tirkey, who stunned SSCB`s Vishwas 3-2. Sanjay
Boro of Assam bagged the bronze medal deafting Pawan Xalxo.
In the compound individual event, Sunita Rani of Punjab
and Ashishek Verma of Delhi defeated V Jyothi Surekha (AP) and
Ritul Chatterjee (AP) in the women and men`s events to claim
Namita Yadav of Jharkhand defeated Punjab`s Rupinder Kaur
and C Srither (SSCB) got the better of Rajasthan`s Nand Kishor
Rawat to claim bronze in the women and men`s events.
However, it was disappointing day for may star archers
such as Jayanta Talukdar, Tarundeep Rai, Mangal Singh Champia
and Jhanu Hansda as they were eliminated early from their
Talukdar, 2009 FITA world cup (stage II) gold medallist,
moved into the semifinal after defeating Beyant Singh 4-0 but
crashed out of the competiton following defeat against
Talukdar put up good contest against Xalxo but missed the
target when it mattered most in the best of five sets.
Another major upset in the men`s recurve individual event
was elimination of Tarundeep (SSCB) in the quarter-finals. He
lost to Sanjay Boro (Assam), who eventually lost to Vishwas.
Champia, Atanu Das and Kapil (UP) also lost their
respective matches. While Champia lost to Priyank (UP), Das
bit the dust against his former Tata Archery Academy mate
Adonda Raju (WB).
Kapil went down to Thupuvoyi Swiro (Nagaland) in the
In the women`s individual compound event, CWG team bronze
medallists team Jhanu Handa, Bheigyabati Chanu (Jharkhand) and
Gagandeep Kaur lost their respective matches against Sunita
Rani (Punjab), Rupinder Kaur (Punjab) and Namita Yadav
(Jharkhand) in the quarter-final stage respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi