Defeated Mitt Romney prays for success of Barack Obama
Washington: After conceding his defeat in 2012 US Presidential Elections, Mitt Romney on Wednesday congratulated Barack Obama for his re-election as the President of the world’s most powerful country.
While addressing his supporters in Boston, who were boosting his morale by cheering aloud, Romney said that it was a "time of great challenges for America" and he prayed that the "President would be successful in guiding our nation".
In a short concession speech, the former Massachusetts governor also vowed to reach across the aisle to meet the critical challenges faced by the nation.
Romney, who fought a tough fight that went down to the wire, said this was a "critical time for the nation. We can`t afford partisan bickering,” the Republican challenger to the White House told the crowds, many of whom appeared to be listening with tears in their eyes.
"I believe in America. I believe in the people of America," he said.
"Our leaders have to reach across the aisle to do critical work," Romney said urging an end to partisan gridlock as he thanked his family, staffers and supporters.
Thanking his wife Ann Romney, Mitt said, "I want to thank the love of my life Ann, the love of my life. She would have made a wonderful first lady.”
Romney also thanked his running mate, Paul Ryan.
"Paul and I have left everything on the field. We have given our all to this campaign. I so wish I had been able to fulfil your hopes to lead the country in a different direction, but the nation chose another leader," Romney said. "Ann and I join with you to earnestly pray for him and this great nation."
He ended with a "You guys are the best" and a "Thanks, guys" to the crowd.
Romney`s speech came after the US media projected him as getting about 300 electoral votes, a comfortable victory from the magic figure of 270 needed to win.
His wife, children and grandchildren came up on stage after the speech.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das