Del Potro keeps alive Tour Finals tennis challenge
London: US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro kept alive his challenge at the ATP World Tour Finals with a 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (7/1) victory over Fernando Verdasco on Tuesday.
After losing his opening Group A match to Andy Murray, Del Potro knew he had to see off Verdasco in their first ever Tour meeting to remain in contention for a semi-final place.
The 21-year-old rose to the challenge with a typically belligerent display of guts and power-hitting and could qualify for the last four with a win in his last match, against Roger Federer, on Thursday.
Verdasco, 26, is appearing in the Tour Finals for the first time after enjoying the best season of his career. But the left hander looks certain to make an early exit after his second defeat of the round robin stage.
Del Potro had been unable to subdue Murray in a three-set encounter on Sunday, while Verdasco dominated the opening stages against world number one Federer but also ended up losing in three sets.
Suffering a nose bleed in the first set against Murray had hardly helped del Potro’s cause, but he packed a greater punch in the early stages this time.
The towering Argentine has risen to fifth in the world rankings after a breakthrough year capped by his shock five-set victory over Federer in September’s US Open final and he showed the form that so impressed in New York as he took control of the first set.
He quickly found his range with some thudding ground-strokes and broke in the third game for a 2-1 lead.
Del Potro remained in control until he had to serve for the set at 5-4, then he faltered and allowed Verdasco two break points. The Spaniard couldn’t convert though and del Potro took the set.
Hitting with increasing accuracy from the baseline, Verdasco began to wear down del Potro and broke in the eighth game for a 5-3 lead before serving out the second set.
Del Potro broke in the sixth game when he successfully challenged that Verdasco’s forehand was out.
But Verdasco wasn’t going to surrender just yet. He saved a match point at 2-5 and then broke back as del Potro served for the match.
Del Potro was unable to finish off another match point in the 10th game. But the Argentine finally completed a hard-fought win in comprehensive fashion as he blew Verdasco away in the tie-break.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India