Del Potro pulls out of US Open title defence
New York: US Open champion Juan Martin Del Potro will be unable to defend his title this month, having failed to recover from a wrist injury which has kept him out since January.
“I feel extremely sad to announce I will not be able to defend my US Open title,” the 21-year-old Argentine told the ATP Tour website Saturday.
“Winning in New York last year has been my major accomplishment in tennis and my best memory so far.”
The tournament starts on August 30 and has already lost the women’s world number one Serena Williams who pulled out on Friday with a foot injury.
“It is unfortunate that Juan Martin has not recovered from wrist surgery in time to defend his US Open title. We wish him all the best and look forward to his return to New York next year,” said tournament director Jim Curley in a statement.
The tall Argentine beat Roger Federer in five sets in 2009 to capture his first grand slam title but this season has been ruined by his wrist problem.
Del Potro played in the Australian Open but pulled out of a series of tournaments after that and announced in May he was having surgery and would almost certainly miss the three remaining grand slams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price