Del Potro pulls out of US Open title defence
New York: US Open champion Juan Martin Del Potro will be unable to defend his title this month, having failed to recover from a wrist injury which has kept him out since January.
“I feel extremely sad to announce I will not be able to defend my US Open title,” the 21-year-old Argentine told the ATP Tour website Saturday.
“Winning in New York last year has been my major accomplishment in tennis and my best memory so far.”
The tournament starts on August 30 and has already lost the women’s world number one Serena Williams who pulled out on Friday with a foot injury.
“It is unfortunate that Juan Martin has not recovered from wrist surgery in time to defend his US Open title. We wish him all the best and look forward to his return to New York next year,” said tournament director Jim Curley in a statement.
The tall Argentine beat Roger Federer in five sets in 2009 to capture his first grand slam title but this season has been ruined by his wrist problem.
Del Potro played in the Australian Open but pulled out of a series of tournaments after that and announced in May he was having surgery and would almost certainly miss the three remaining grand slams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- 'India stalling dialogue with Pakistan to avoid negotiations on Kashmir'
- Cancer woes: Parsley, dill can actually be the cure!
- Spine chilling! French swimmer Yannick Agnel promises to swim around the Nordic island if Iceland win Euro 2016
- LeEco Le 2, Le Max2 second flash sale on July 5; registrations open
- Opal-studded meteorite points towards evolution of water on Earth!