Delay in Speaker election breach of rules: AIADMK
Puducherry: Opposition AIADMK on Saturday charged
Puducherry Chief Minister N Rangasamy with breaching
established rules by delaying the election to office of the
Speaker of the Territorial Assembly.
AIADMK state unit secretary A Anbalagan told reporters
that the rules clearly stated that the election of Speaker
should be held within 15 days of the first sitting of the
"The new Assembly had its maiden meeting on June 3 when
all the newly-elected legislators were inducted as members of
the House," he said alleging that the delay to hold election
of the Speaker despite a lapse of more than the 15 days was a
"clear violation of the rules."
Anbalagan also criticised Puducherry Lt Governor Iqbal
Singh, who is the administrator of the Union Territory, for
not directing the chief minister to hold the Speaker election
within the prescribed time-frame.
He appealed to the Lt Governor to direct Rangasamy to
hold the election.
The AIADMK leader said the newly inducted ministers were
yet to be earmarked portfolios ever since they had been sworn
in on June 8 at the first expansion of the All India NR
Congress ministry headed by Rangasamy.
Anbalagan claimed the government departments had come to
a "grinding halt" and no work could be taken up as ministers
themselves did not know of the portfolios which they held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?