Delhi can deliver the best ever CWG, says CoCom member
Melbourne: The early dilly-dallying
notwithstanding, Delhi has made remarkable progress of late
and has the potential to deliver the best ever Commonwealth
Games next year, according to key CGF Coordination Committee
(CoCom) member Perry Crosswhite.
Crosswhite was part of the Commonwealth Games
Federation`s CoCom which recently took stock of Delhi`s
progress and the CEO of the Australian Commonwealth Games
Association sounded thoroughly impressed.
"The jury is still out but given the rapid progress that
the organisers are making, the 2010 Commonwealth Games in
Delhi have the potential to be the best Games ever," he said.
Crosswhite said Delhi was slow to react but once they
realised that time was of essence, significant progress was
made in very little time.
"We have had concerns on occasions this year in regards
to the organising committee`s ability to meet deadlines and
requirements. However as 2009 draws to a close I am buoyed by
the progress shown in the last couple of months.
"After meeting with the CGF in October, organisers have
appointed a number of international experts including village
operations expert John Lade, event manager Peter Stewart and
technology specialist Brian Norse. They all have significant
experience in major games such as the Sydney Olympics and
Melbourne Commonwealth Games," Crosswhite was quoted as saying
by `The Daily Telegraph`.
The Organising Committee were lax in their approach to
the Games` preparation which drew flak from CGF top brass but
once the Government of India took charge, progress has been
Crosswhite said the government`s involvement augured well
for the Games.
"It`s also pleasing to see that the Indian government has
become more involved. They fully understand that the Games
need to be a success for their country, their people and their
standing on the international stage," he said.
After the three-day stock-taking, CoCom chairman Austin
Sealy also patted the organisers for pulling up their socks.
"There has been noticeable progress over the last two
months. However, with only nine months remaining, the
intensity must continue," Sealy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly