Delhi gang-rape victim`s family favours open court hearing
Ballia (UP): The family of the 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim on Wednesday favoured open court hearing in the case and said this would enable information to reach the people.
They would otherwise not come to know of the developments and this might weaken the people`s anger, and the agitation going on against the rape and demands for a strict anti-rape law, her family said here today.
The victim`s grandfather took strong exception to Asaram Bapu`s remarks terming the media and his critics as "barking dogs," saying that it "only indicated his mentality."
A local court on January 7 had ordered in-camera proceedings and a ban on media coverage of the case. High drama and commotion was also witnessed over providing counsel for the accused.
Meanwhile, construction work has started in the victim`s native Medawar Kala village ahead of her `terahi` (ritual related to death) on January 12. Some VVIPs are expected to arrive here for the purpose.
A helipad is being prepared in the village, roads and drains are also being repaired.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'