Delhi gang-rape victim`s family favours open court hearing
Ballia (UP): The family of the 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim on Wednesday favoured open court hearing in the case and said this would enable information to reach the people.
They would otherwise not come to know of the developments and this might weaken the people`s anger, and the agitation going on against the rape and demands for a strict anti-rape law, her family said here today.
The victim`s grandfather took strong exception to Asaram Bapu`s remarks terming the media and his critics as "barking dogs," saying that it "only indicated his mentality."
A local court on January 7 had ordered in-camera proceedings and a ban on media coverage of the case. High drama and commotion was also witnessed over providing counsel for the accused.
Meanwhile, construction work has started in the victim`s native Medawar Kala village ahead of her `terahi` (ritual related to death) on January 12. Some VVIPs are expected to arrive here for the purpose.
A helipad is being prepared in the village, roads and drains are also being repaired.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part IV
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part V
- Floods affect over 6 lakh in 14 Assam districts, toll rises to seven
- Congress lawmakers to quit if SC ruling on SYL canal goes against Punjab
- CPN (Maoist Centre) chairman Prachanda all set to become new Nepal PM
- Swachh Bharat, Skill India 'transformative' schemes: President Pranab Mukherjee
- Restless Leg Syndrome: Treat the disorder with this amazingly simple trick! - Watch video