Delhi Govt to free city from beggars for C`Wealth Games
New Delhi: In a move to make the city free from beggars before the Commonwealth Games next year, Delhi government has finalized a detailed plan envisaging setting up of a control room and six mobile squads for summary trial of persons found begging in the city.
To begin with, two metropolitan magistrates are being
trained on how to deal with the beggars and laws to be
implemented while operating through the mobile courts, Chief
Secretary Rakesh Mehta said.
At least 12 mobile vans, preferably RTVs, will be
deployed for the purpose. Initially, the plan is to launch the
anti-beggary drive in areas like Dhaula Kuan, Rajghat and
AIIMS, said Mehta who held a meeting on the issue with
Lieutenant Governor Tejinder Khanna today.
The government will also tie-up with the police for
the hassle-free operation while a beggar control room will be
set up so that the mobile courts can reach the spot where
the beggar is found.
"Government also proposes to set up a non-custodial
home to provide care to the destitute and rehabilitate those
found begging," he said.
The non-custodial homes will be run by civil society
groups working for the homeless.
Delhi government has been pulled up by the Supreme
Court and Delhi High Court from time to time for its failure
to tackle the beggar menace in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy