Delhi HC dismisses petition on 2G spectrum allocation

Last Updated: Friday, December 4, 2009 - 22:43

New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has dismissed
a petition challenging the first-come, first-serve policy
followed by the government while allotting new telecom
licences bundled with 2G start up spectrum.

A division bench headed by the Chief Justice A P Shah
dismissed the PIL filed by one Arvind Gupta, alleging that the
Department of Telecom allotted spectrum much below the market
prices to the new operators.

The division bench observed that it has already given its
verdict in a similar matter and said "there is no point of law
in your petition".

The court was referring to a similar matter last week,
when it had quashed a DoT`s notification advancing the cut-off
date for release of 2G spectrum to telecom operators by saying
that it cannot change the rules after the "game" has begun.

The court further observed that despite its several
directions, Gupta did not file his written pleadings properly.

"We have been asking you many a time to give your
written submissions properly, but you are depending on the
other matter which is already finished now," the court said.

Gupta has contended that violations were apparent in the
case of Swan Telecom and six subsidiaries owned by real estate
major Unitech. Some of them later sold the allotted spectrum at
much higher prices, he alleged.

PTI



First Published: Friday, December 4, 2009 - 22:43

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus