Delhi Police tenders apology to Trinamool MP
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Wednesday tendered an
apology to Trinamool Congress MP Kalyan Banerjee whose car
was stopped to ensure smooth passage of the convoy of Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh on July 23 here.
"An ACP rank officer from Delhi Police had come to my
residence to tender apology for the incident on July 23 at
Rajpath," Banerjee said.
The Trinamool MP had got into an argument with security
personnel after his car was prevented from entering a road
blocked for the Prime Minister`s convoy heading towards the
Rashtrapati Bhavan on Thursday.
Banerjee, a first-time Trinamool Congress MP from
Sreerampur in West Bengal, was in his car near Vijay Chowk
when police stopped him from going further saying he could not
proceed as the "route has been laid for the convoy of the
Banerjee argued with the security men saying he should
be allowed to go as he was a member of the House.
The MP had alleged the police misbehaved with him though
he complied with their instructions.
"I was going inside Parliament as I had to get my car a
security tag...Police allowed me to cross the first barricade
but stopped at the second barricade....they were not behaving
properly. I got down from the car and an argument broke out,"
After the senior police official`s visit to his house,
Banerjee said "I have forgotten the incident and it is
alright," Banerjee said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India