Delhi to host men`s Champions Trophy in December
New Delhi: Delhi will host the men`s hockey Champions Trophy from Dec. 1-11, the International Hockey Federation (FIH) said in a statement.
FIH President Leandro Negre, who was in Delhi to discuss matters relating to the governing body`s hockey development project in India, also met with the country`s newly appointed sports minister Ajay Maken.
Delhi also hosted the 2010 men`s World Cup.
"The meeting was very constructive, during which Mr Negre reaffirmed FIH`s position regarding its recognition of Hockey India (HI) as the sole governing body for hockey in India," the statement said.
The Indian Hockey federation (IHF) forfeited FIH recognition in 2008 and has been replaced by HI as the governing body of the sport in the country.
The Champions Trophy in December, where India will have direct entry as hosts, will be followed by a combined men`s and women`s Olympic qualifier in early 2012.
India failed to qualify for the last edition of the Champions Trophy in 2010, held in Monchengladbach, Germany.
The FIH continued discussions with the authorities in India on the launch of a new professional hockey league, the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM