Delhi to host men`s Champions Trophy in December
New Delhi: Delhi will host the men`s hockey Champions Trophy from Dec. 1-11, the International Hockey Federation (FIH) said in a statement.
FIH President Leandro Negre, who was in Delhi to discuss matters relating to the governing body`s hockey development project in India, also met with the country`s newly appointed sports minister Ajay Maken.
Delhi also hosted the 2010 men`s World Cup.
"The meeting was very constructive, during which Mr Negre reaffirmed FIH`s position regarding its recognition of Hockey India (HI) as the sole governing body for hockey in India," the statement said.
The Indian Hockey federation (IHF) forfeited FIH recognition in 2008 and has been replaced by HI as the governing body of the sport in the country.
The Champions Trophy in December, where India will have direct entry as hosts, will be followed by a combined men`s and women`s Olympic qualifier in early 2012.
India failed to qualify for the last edition of the Champions Trophy in 2010, held in Monchengladbach, Germany.
The FIH continued discussions with the authorities in India on the launch of a new professional hockey league, the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical