Delhiites to switch off lights to save power today
New Delhi: Many parts of the capital are expected to go dark as the clock strikes 8.30 pm on Friday with Delhiites planning to voluntarily switch off non-essential lights for one hour to save power.
The initiative comes on the lines of a global Earth Hour observed March 28 when Delhi managed to save a whopping 10,000 MW of power in an hour.
Taking a cue from the event, the Delhi government decided in April to observe Earth Hour quarterly on the last working day of every third month.
The government has asked 2,000 residents welfare associations (RWAs), 2,000 students in school ecological clubs and market associations to join the campaign.
Residents have also pitched in and are sending SMSes and e-mail messages urging people to join the campaign to save power by turning off non-essential lights from 8.30 pm to 9.30 pm.
"My friends and I are sending e-mail and text messages to relatives, friends and acquaintances asking them to switch off lights during Earth Hour," said Charu Gupta, a college student living in Malviya Nagar.
Many communities have been formed on social networking site Facebook, urging people to observe Earth Hour.
Uzzwal Madhab, who started the Earth Hour 2009 group on Facebook, said, "I welcome the Delhi government initiative and we have been asking people to join hands in saving power. We want people across India to take part in such campaign for the welfare of mankind."
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said, "You did it for an hour in March, saved 1,000 MW, a world record. Let`s participate once again July 31. Donate power during Earth Hour."
According to the government, the quarterly affair could save up to 400 MW of power in a year.
"We have also asked ASI (Archaeological Survey of India) to switch off the lights at monuments like India Gate and Humayun Tomb during the time," an official said.
The concept of the Earth Hour campaign was started in Australia in 2007. This year`s Earth Hour and climate change initiative by the World Wide Fund (WWF) saw 80 countries taking part in the community initiative to save energy.
Ravi Singh of the WWF-India lauded the Delhi government`s proposal to save power.
"The Delhi government`s action shows that positive voluntary action by citizens can lead to good things for larger benefits for environment. Secondly, I am sure that if Delhi takes the lead, then other cities and states are likely to follow and can be pursued," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt