Democrat woman becomes first openly gay US senator
Washington: Tammy Baldwin Wednesday became the first openly gay senator in the US history when she defeated former Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson.
"I am honoured and humbled and grateful, and I am ready to get to work - ready to stand with Barack Obama, and ready to fight for Wisconsin`s middle class," said Baldwin to raucous cheers at her victory party.
Although 50-year-old Democrat Representative Baldwin made history after becoming the first openly gay senator-elect in US history, her sexual orientation was largely a non-issue in the race, the Huffington Post reported.
Thompson`s political director had tweeted a message in September, deriding Baldwin`s "heartland values," accompanied by a video of Baldwin dancing at an LGBT pride parade.
"Now, I am well aware that I will have the honour to be Wisconsin`s first woman US senator. And I am well aware I will be the first openly gay member of the United States Senate," Baldwin said.
"But I didn`t run to make history," she added.
"I ran to make a difference, a difference in the lives of families struggling to find work and pay the bills, a difference in the lives of students worried about debt and seniors worried about their retirement security, a difference in the lives of veterans who fought for us and need someone fighting for them and their families when they return home from war, a difference in the lives of entrepreneurs trying to build a business and working people trying to build some economic security," she said.
Earlier, in his victory speech, US President Barack Obama said: "It doesn`t matter whether you`re black or white or Hispanic or Asian or Native American or young or old or rich or poor, able, disabled, gay or straight, you can make it here in America if you`re willing to try."
During his four-way Republican party`s primary race, Thompson was long considered the front-runner.
Thompson was a popular governor in the state who later served as President George W Bush`s Health and Human Services Secretary and enjoyed high name-recognition in the state.
However, his strategy of portraying Baldwin as a far-left liberal faltered. When he tried to go after her for not being strong enough in speaking out against Iran, Thompson`s own investments in companies that do business with Iran became a bigger issue.
Baldwin will be succeeded in her House seat by state Assemblyman Mark Pocan, a Democrat who is also openly gay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in