Denmark`s joint leading scorer Tomasson retires
Rotterdam: Denmark`s joint record scorer Jon Dahl Tomasson announced his retirement at the age of 34 on Tuesday and said he was moving into a new career as assistant coach of top flight Excelsior Rotterdam.
Feyenoord forward Tomasson has not played since scoring in the World Cup match against Japan last year, when he equalled Poul Nielson`s record of 52 goals for his country but pulled a thigh muscle in the same game.
"This is a sad day for a player like me," Tomasson told reporters.
"I have been in recovery for a year now without much progress and the doctor told that I would still need (at least) three more months and with no guarantee (of recovery)."
During his 18-year career Tomasson had spells at Feyenoord, Newcastle United, AC Milan, Villarreal, VFB Stuttgart before returning to Feyenoord in 2008.
Tomasson, who won 112 caps for Denmark, won the UEFA cup with Feyenoord in 2002 and the Champions League a year later with AC Milan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi