Denmark`s joint leading scorer Tomasson retires
Rotterdam: Denmark`s joint record scorer Jon Dahl Tomasson announced his retirement at the age of 34 on Tuesday and said he was moving into a new career as assistant coach of top flight Excelsior Rotterdam.
Feyenoord forward Tomasson has not played since scoring in the World Cup match against Japan last year, when he equalled Poul Nielson`s record of 52 goals for his country but pulled a thigh muscle in the same game.
"This is a sad day for a player like me," Tomasson told reporters.
"I have been in recovery for a year now without much progress and the doctor told that I would still need (at least) three more months and with no guarantee (of recovery)."
During his 18-year career Tomasson had spells at Feyenoord, Newcastle United, AC Milan, Villarreal, VFB Stuttgart before returning to Feyenoord in 2008.
Tomasson, who won 112 caps for Denmark, won the UEFA cup with Feyenoord in 2002 and the Champions League a year later with AC Milan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley