Deposed Fiji premier to visit India on August 17
Deposed Fiji Prime Minister Mahendra Chaudhry, who was released last month after being held hostage for eight weeks by rebel leader George Speight, is visiting India on August 17, Prime Minister Atal Bihari vajpayee said on Sunday.
"We will give him a hearty welcome," Vajpayee said at a function to mark Sant Shiromani Goswami Tulsidas Jayanti in New Delhi.
India had greeted with a sense of relief the decision of Fiji's great council of chiefs to release Chaudhry and his cabinet colleagues from detention in Fiji's Parliament building where they were held hostage since May 19.
Stating that injustice had been done to Fijian Indians for years, he said that India had been instrumental in mobilising international pressure to restore a democratic government in Suva.
In an apparent reference to Speight, Vajpayee said that the ''criminal'', who had triggered a crisis situation in Fiji, was now now behind bars.
Report: Zeenext Bureau
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested