Deshmukh, Adik, Mohite-Patil file papers for RS by-poll
Mumbai: Union Minister for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Vilasrao Deshmukh on Wednesday filed his nomination papers for the August 10 by-election to the Rajya
Sabha from Maharashtra.
Deshmukh filed his papers to fill in the vacancy created
due to the resignation of Sushilkumar Shinde, now Union Power
Minister, after his election to the Lok Sabha from Solapur
parliamentary constituency in the recent elections.
Similarly, Govindrao Adik and Ranjitsinh Mohite Patil,
both NCP, filed nominations for the two other seats vacated by
Praful Patel and Supriya Sule respectively.
Patel was elected to the Lok Sabha from Bhandara-Gondia
and is the Union Aviation Minister now, while Sule won the
Baramati parliamentary seat.
Dalit leader Ramdas Athavale`s name was doing rounds for
one of the two seats from NCP quota. Deputy Chief Minister
Chhagan Bhujbal said his party had offered him the Rajya Sabha
nomination, however, "Athavale declined the offer saying
that he had some difficulties."
The NCP leader said Athavale has assured that he "may
continue" his alliance with the Congress-NCP for the assembly
"Victory and defeat is part of the electoral process.
Even our senior leader and Union Minister Suryakanta Patil was
defeated," he said when asked about Athavale`s grouse against
the Congress-NCP for not ensuring his win from the Shirdi
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you