Deshmukh keeps options open
Mumbai: A day after he almost ruled
himself out of the Maharashtra chief ministerial race, Union
minister Vilasrao Deshmukh on Saturday hinted at keeping all his
options open, saying he was prepared to accept whatever
responsibility Congress high command gives him.
"Now it is up to the high command. What is going to
happen nobody knows. I will do whatever the high command asks
me to do. I was made chief minister and twice I resigned (on
being asked by high command)," he told reporters.
Deshmukh had told the media after his yesterday`s
meeting with Congress president Sonia Gandhi that he was
happy being in Delhi, which many took as an indication that
he would continue with his role in national politics.
Deshmukh, who was made chairman of the party`s
election management committee for the Assembly polls, is
believed to be enjoying the support of a sizeable number of
newly elected Congress MLAs.
The maiden meeting of the Congress Legislature Party
(CLP) this afternoon authorised Sonia Gandhi to name the new
leader who would head the Congress-NCP government in the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know