Desmond Tutu becomes baton-bearer for Delhi Games
Bloemfontein: Nobel laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu became the Queen`s baton-bearer for the Delhi Commonwealth Games.
It a momentous occasion for the Queen`s Baton Relay 2010 Delhi at the capital city of Free State Province and Dan-Kgothule, Minister of Sports, received the baton at the airport.
After the staging of cultural performances, the baton was handed over to executive mayor for the relay which started at the Seisa Ramaboudu Stadium, where it stayed for two hours to witness a cultural show and the concluding speeches from various dignitaries.
The baton was felicitated by the South African hockey team and Desmond Tutu then joined the celebrations and participated in the relay, along with about 300 baton-bearers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India