Desmond Tutu becomes baton-bearer for Delhi Games
Bloemfontein: Nobel laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu became the Queen`s baton-bearer for the Delhi Commonwealth Games.
It a momentous occasion for the Queen`s Baton Relay 2010 Delhi at the capital city of Free State Province and Dan-Kgothule, Minister of Sports, received the baton at the airport.
After the staging of cultural performances, the baton was handed over to executive mayor for the relay which started at the Seisa Ramaboudu Stadium, where it stayed for two hours to witness a cultural show and the concluding speeches from various dignitaries.
The baton was felicitated by the South African hockey team and Desmond Tutu then joined the celebrations and participated in the relay, along with about 300 baton-bearers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what